Saturday 9 January 2010

A Freud Dog!

I believe there’s a bit of Freud in all of us especially dogs and especially my dogs! How I hear you ask? Well it is simple. Freud says we are all motivated by sex. That it is our natural instinct. For a dog what is life all about? That’s right, eating and humping! They will hump anything that walks or talks or anything that they can straddle.
Now Freud claimed that we are not who we really think we are due to society suppressing us and damaging us. Now for a dog, society is not telling them anything. In other words a dog is what it really is. So when you see a dog, you can be assured that the dog is showing its true colours doing what it wants, how it wants, when it wants. It is not being told how to live life. But, and there is a but, what if the dog has been castrated or neutered? The dog is no longer motivated by sex because they no longer have the urge for it. Therefore Freud would argue that the dogs has been
We can go even further with this with Freud’s work ‘On the analysis of dreams’ again relating it to dogs, my dogs. Freud said that the human brain consisted of two parts. The conscious and subconscious and that it was when these two half’s conflict causes emotional unhappiness. Freud described dreams as the royal high way to the subconscious. Now I believe that I can see all of this is my dogs. Let me give you an example. I don’t normally watch my dogs when they sleep, but this one night, Chester, my younger dog was barking while he was asleep. At first I found this amusing to watch but then I began to think. Obviously he is dreaming, but I believe that his conscious and subconscious parts of his brain were conflicting and there for causing emotional unhappiness. I knew he was unhappy as when he woke up he was very quiet which is extremely unlike him. So bad dreams lead to bad moods. Now whenever I see my dogs twitch while they sleep or suddenly do something strange in their sleep, I know thanks to Freud it’s because their conscious and subconscious are conflicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment