Monday 23 February 2009

Mum.....do you love me?

Before I start I would just like to point out that I don't really agree with what I am about to say in this blog.

OK, I'm going to try and keep this as simple as possible...which should be too hard as I'm quite a simple person! But my question today is...how do we know?

So the first big word is "empiricism". The attitude of having to see before you believe. The second word in the equation is "a priori" which is basically the opposite of empiricism. I'm not sure if the next paragraph is going to make much sense but it does to me....in my head.

Empiricism is the theory of knowledge (according to wiki), the use of science to prove something. But what if something cannot be scientifically proven? For example, our parents have always told us they love us...one would hope so...but what if our lives have been one big lie? An a priori way of thinking would of course be to believe that our parents do love us. How do we know?

Another crazy pointless over the top example I am going to use quickly is the existence of places we have never been. If we have never been somewhere, what evidence do you have that that place actually exists? Sure you seen pictures or read about it but that could be pictures of anything. To take it even further...just because I've sat on a plane for 24 hours and landed in a place called "New Zealand" who's to say this is New Zealand ? I could be anywhere. To me, this is a stupid way of thinking....some people can't help but take empiricism to the next level!

Reading this blog back to myself...I appear to have confused myself and realise how silly it is! But never mind....that's how I work!

1 comment: